Graduation.

By Nathalya - November 03, 2017

Have you ever wondered what's like to do a science graduation?


bachelor


It's been 2 years since I got into a University. And wish people had told me these things before.

*edit: It turned out way deeper than I expected.



I don't know how it goes in other fields, and that's why I'm specifying this to the scientific one. I'm studying Biomedicine, or Biomedical Sciences (there are different nominations, depending on the country). Basically, I can be a scientist, a researcher or a professor. I can perform clinical exams or beauty procedures, analyse food quality, do criminal investigation etc.

If you are in the same situation as I am, this post will be incredibly relatable, or, if you're fighting your way into College to pursue a degree in this field, I'll tell you somethings about University life that most people don't.

The first thing you should be aware is that researching is not as glamorous as it sounds. When we're outside the Academy all we see is the glorious final results of these amazing experiments, but not the effort and knowledge that it takes to come to it.

Years and years of collecting data, doing impossible statistics, dealing with results that you aren't expecting, trying to imagine things happening in those tinny tubes, sacrificing animals (if your research requires that), studying your butt off... I'm not quite there yet (except for the "studying you butt off" part), but I can see my future and it's not as bright as I once thought. But don't get me wrong: this is still something I want to do, I love this field and I'm gonna stick to it.

And that's another thing: love is required here. If you don't love what you are doing, all the difficulties listed above will be impossible to overcome, and you'll sure give up.

But even loving it all, you get really tired sometimes. Tired because you almost never have time to waist on something other than University stuff, tired of the pressure of marking good grades in order to get a good internship (that will make you an expertise in the matter of your choice, so you gotta choose wisely), tired of the negativity of people around you, tired of the secretive competition between your class colleagues, tired of having to decide one specific area to study among all of the millions existing, even if you're not sure yet... We're so young, and we've to decide what to work with for the rest of our lives. What if I don't have that passion that some people have when they first study something for the first time? I'm about to finish all my subjects and I still haven't found "the one" yet!

All that will come to mind if you get into a University, or all that is in your mind right now! 

All the classes you want to skip but you feel terrible doing so, all the bad grades that make you disappointed with yourself, all the times that you feel like you should be doing more, but deep down you know that there's no more of you to give, because you're already so tired... 

I'm not gonna act like those fake bloggers saying that all you gotta do is stay positive! Think and do good stuff and everything will be better! Just hold on to your heart! Your dreams will come true if you just stay happy.

That's ain't real life. You can't force yourself into being happy.

What I'm going to say to you is keep a goal in mind, but enjoy the present as well. University is a part of your life, not all of it. If you really feel that this is what you want for life, that you're in the right field, stick to it and don't give up, even if it's so tempting to. Take your studying serious.

Don't listen to others expectations of your life, or the innumerable suggestions that they'll give in what to do with it. 
Seek for advice, but don't feel obligated to follow what others think is the best for you. Figure stuff out in your head and don't be afraid of making mistakes.

Those things are not something that I have fully installed in my life tho. I also figuring it all out, I also feel hopeless from time to time. It's a overwhelming experience, and you're not alone in it.

If you believe that you need help, in any level, to get through it all (I know that sometimes is just to much), don't hesitate in seeking it. Talk to people, anyone that you think that may help. Also, looking for professional help will never be something to be ashamed of.

I wish you the best in whatever road you take.

-hugs,
Nathalya













*Don't be unmotivated by this post: not everything is that bad, when you study something you love it will be pleasurable. Going to University can be fun sometimes, you'll engage in nice activities as well! I just don't want you to be as delusional as I was, because doing a bachelor degree is much more than what meets the eyes when you're in high school. Anyway, after all, it's a river of new experiences that I believe are worth going through, but we can try to make it a little less rough.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love your text! Perfect for all kind of graduations... Know how to deal with all stuffs that university demands from you its really hard, but if you love what youll become after graduate you have to insist on it and study a lot to deal with all hard subjects. Thanks for your words...
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It means a lot!
      I'm glad that you enjoyed my words and that they fit for every graduation! ^^

      xoxo

      Delete